Chloramphenicol Capsule 250 mg
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to children under 1 year.
– Do not administer to patients with:
• history of allergic reaction or bone marrow depression during a previous treatment with chloramphenicol;
• G6PD deficiency.
– May cause:
• dose-related haematological toxicity (bone marrow depression, anaemia, leucopenia, thrombocytopenia), allergic reactions. In these events, stop treatment immediately;
• gastrointestinal disturbances, peripheral and optic neuropathies.
– Reduce dosage in patients with hepatic or renal impairment.
– Avoid or monitor combination with potentially haematotoxic drugs (carbamazepine, co-trimoxazole, flucytocine, pyrimethamine, zidovudine, etc.).
– Pregnancy: CONTRA-INDICATED, except if vital, if there is no therapeutic alternative. If used during the 3rd trimester, risk of grey syndrome in the newborn infant (vomiting, hypothermia, blue-grey skin colour and cardiovascular depression).
– Breast-feeding: CONTRA-INDICATED